Monday, November 8, 2010

leading the way

  The summer before my freshman year I dislocated my knee two weeks before my swim season (swimming was in the fall for my high school). I happened to be in New Haven when I dislocated my knee and went to Yale hospital. My family was no where near me and as being loaded into the ambulance my coach handed me the phone and I murmured out that I hurt and I loved my Dad. The ambulance ride seemed like years. It was bumpy; over every bump my vulnerable knee (which was still out of its socket) would slam against the metal handles on the stretcher. I felt the sting in my arm as the Morphine flowed into my body. As we pulled into the hospital I was rushed into a hospital bed as a doctor was waiting for me. He then straightened my leg out and pushed on my knee cap. A rush of the most painful experience of my life rushed through my body as I screamed in agony. My knee was back to being into it's socket.
  I showed up to practice two weeks later with a full leg brace. My coach knew in advance, but many of the girls were caught of guard and looked at me from a distance, unsure of how to approach me. I sat through every practice doing as many exercises my body would allow.
  Two weeks later was our "meet the team" party at one of the captain's houses. As I showed up, I saw all the girls stare at me. Through the crowd came a robust woman with blonde hair about 4 inches shorter than I. It was the captain's mom. She told me that this part was for the swim team only, and that I was being asked to immediately. Not one person stood up and said, "no she's on the team, she's just hurt". I looked up with tears in my eyes and the whole room of 30 swimmers and their parents starring at me. I limped out and did not turn back.
   Three weeks later, I was cleared to go in the water and swim. At first I did not swim with the high school team, but the club team instead. As I got to my first practice with the high school team not one girl talked to me. They turned their noses up at me and went about on their own business. When my first meet came around, that was worse. Not one person cheered for me, regardless I made states my first swim. Imagine how controversial that was. After the meet, the captains pulled me aside telling me that I was not allowed to compete in states, and if I wanted to ever swim again I would give my spot up for the other senior. Essentially I was forced to give up my spot and let the other senior swim for me. I will NEVER forget that moment ever again. I was ready to quit and start playing soccer again.
  I returned my sophomore year and was so happy I stayed with it. My senior year came around and I was nominated for captain. I lead the team to a state championship and lived by the motto to treat others the way you wanted to be treated. I would tell the story of what happened to me my freshman year and I made sure that NO ONE was treated the way I was. People still talk about what happened and remind people that someone should NEVER be treated this way.

1 comment:

  1. Kerry, you submitted two nice pieces of writing for this week's blog posts but neither was the assignment for this week: intellectually stimlating class + study spot. Did you do the wrong ones, next week's by mistake? Can you clarify so I know what I'm reading? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete