Sunday, October 10, 2010

caring how it hurts.

I want to be a nurse. Since I was a little kid I have always wanted to be a nurse. My grandma would buy me doctors kits and pretend she was sick to humor me.

I have always been involved with community service. Helping people has always been such a pleasure in my life. I struggle a lot with helping myself a lot of the time. My recent mission trip took me to Jamaica.


Yup, this is it. People forget that a country with such beauty, is struggling so much. Behind this beauty is the harsh reality of poverty and hurting. Although these images are very shocking, this is what I saw everyday for a week and it changed my life. It made me continue my journey to be a nurse.








To see people in this condition broke my heart. The girl that I am holding in the picture above changed my life. Her family abandoned her and left her to die. When I first walked around where all the abandoned children were, her and I immediately locked eyes. When I smiled, she smiled. Although none of the children could talk, we read each other. I would feel when she was sick.

So you might ask what this has to do with anything. I felt right doing this. I felt right being there for someone else and helping them. This finalized my decision of being a nurse. I saw brutal illnesses and physically disabled people. It did not phase me that they were so handicapped. I wanted to help them immediately.

So this is my story about my major. Leading up to making the choice has changed my life, imagine what the actual thing will do to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment